The EKCEP: COVID-19 Response Edition | Owerri Project was carried out in partnership with Rotary Club of Owerri Central, an NGO based in Owerri, Imo state and an EnvironFocus implementation partner. The project’s objective was to provide the maternity unit of a Health facility with access to safe drinking water via an improved drinking water source (instant microbial water filter). Rotary Club of Owerri Central’s role included identifying a Health Care facility within its service area. They were also required to successfully handover the instant microbial water filter donated by the students to the maternity unit of the Health Centre. The Maternity unit of Imo State Specialist Hospital in Imo State, Nigeria, was the identified beneficiary of the project.
This project was similar to EKCEP: COVID-19 Response Edition | Gwagwalada Project. It had the same objectives and goals. Check out the Gwagwalada project for additional information.
The Handover to the Maternity unit of Imo State Specialist Hospital
On the day of handover, Rotarian Chukwuemeka Ohajunwa, President, Rotary Club of Owerri Central, handed over the filter to the hospital.
EKCEP: COVID-19 Response Edition | Owerri Project outcomes
It is excellent to know that the instant microbial water filter at the maternity unit has enabled the following:
- mothers drink their medicines with ease at the hospital with no concerns about illnesses associated with drinking unsafe water such as diarrhea, typhoid, cholera, worms, and measles
- reduced the risk of expectant mothers with HIV/AIDS contacting cryptosporidiosis because the water filter removes cryptosporidium. This protozoan parasite causes watery diarrhea, which has developed a resistance to chlorine
- increased the quantity of safe drinking water available to the mothers at no additional cost to them. This is because of the type of water filter donated, being a climate-resilient product, heavily microbial contaminated water from any source can be instantly purified and made potable.
- Expectant mothers do not have to spend their limited resources on drinking water while at the clinic.
The project addressed the following UN2030 SDGs: Good health and well being (SDG 3), Gender Equality (SDG5), Access to Clean Water and Sanitation (SDG6), Climate Action (SDG13), Partnership for Goals (SDG17)
About Rotary Club of Owerri Central
Rotary is an international organization of business and professional persons united in the ideal of service. Rotary is actively involved in the eradication of polio. Promotion of literacy, provision of portable water amongst others. The Rotary club of Owerri Central was chartered on the 15th day of June 2001 and holds her weekly fellowship on Thursdays, 6:30pm @Immaculate Royal Hotel, Port Harcourt Road, Owerri. Imo State. Nigeria.
EKCEP: COVID-19 Response Edition was funded by the Rotary Club of Brampton, DIstrict 7080. More information about EKCEP can be viewed at www.environfocus.com/EKCEP and information about EnvironFocus can be viewed at www.environfocus.com.
- SCAN’s 14- Day Campaign | Day 14 –Conclusion/Call to Action - March 14, 2021
- SCAN’s 14- Day Campaign | Day 13 – The Adaptation and Mitigation Relationship - March 13, 2021
- SCAN’s 14- Day Campaign | Day 12 – Mitigation Measures in Application Today - March 12, 2021